Dental Assistant Job Description
Job purpose outline:
The primary objective of the Dental Assistant is to be the primary support for dental care delivery by preparing treatment rooms, patients, instruments, and materials to the providing dentist or dental hygienist. The dental assistant will assist in the delivery of care to patients, transferring, passing and preparing of material and instruments, as well as disinfecting and sterilizing all equipment, instruments and supplies associated in the daily functions of dental treatment. The employee acknowledges the “need to know” standard and will correspondingly only share confidential information with other employees with a “need to know” standard.
- Prepares treatment rooms for patient by following procedures and protocols.
- Prepares patient for treatment by welcoming, comforting, seating and draping the patient.
- Provides updates on changes with patients medical history, financial status and treatment request.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of EMR and standard of care.
- Excess behavior management regarding urgent patient situations, complaints, triage and assessments.
- As directed by the dentist. Provides clinical information to the patient by answering questions and request.
- Provides instrumentation by delivering, positioning, suctioning, and passing of instruments during treatment.
- Provides materials by mixing, packing, or placing for dental treatment restorations.
- Provides diagnostic information by exposing and developing radiographic images. As directed by the dentist
- Prepares diagnostic information in the form of study models by pouring and trimming study cast.
- Assist in the fabrication of temporary crown restorations, cementation and shade.
- Educates patients by giving oral hygiene instructions and postoperative instructions.
- Documents treatment services by charting and documenting in the patient’s record using proper punctuation, grammar and spelling.
- Maintains patient’s confidence and protects operations by keeping information confidential.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations.
- Protects patients and employees by adhering to infections control policies and procedures.
- Participates in the collection and distribution of both dirty and clean instruments to and from patient treatment areas.
- Performs proper cleaning and sterilization techniques for dental instruments, equipment, and supplies.
- Handles and disposes of sharps and hazardous materials according to established guidelines.
- Performs duties which include bending, stooping, reaching, sitting or standing for long periods of time.
- Ability to lift in excess of 25lbs or greater.
- Willingness to take on other duties as assigned.
- Maintains a current and up to date CPR certification.
- Employee maintains Dental Assisting Degree and Continuing education requirements needed to hold the degree.
- No employee is permitted to meet with outside sources without acknowledgement and permission from administration.
- Maintains regular consistent and professional attendance avoiding tardiness and excessive absences.
- Employee distributes productive behavior during down time.
- Maintains a professional appearance, and adherence to relevant health and safety procedures.
- Acknowledges responsibility of reporting conflicts, violations or suspected violations in accordance with GMHC Policies.
- Acknowledgment of Policy, Procedures, Protocols and emergency preparedness, including all yearly changes and updates.
- Communicates well with patients, fellow co-workers, providers, management and administration.
- Has the employee received any disciplinary actions since his/her last evaluation?
- Performance appraisals are collaborated by the Dental manager and the Dental Providers.
Dental Assistant & Date
Supervisor Signature & Date
Administration Signature & Date